Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Potato Soup

So I have been under the weather the last few days due to the crazy weather (hot, cold, hot, cold), lack of sleep, and trying to juggle too many things at once.  I was really hoping to feel better this morning but that did not happen.  Maybe tomorrow, right?? So yesterday, I decided to make some potato soup since soup is the only thing I feel like eating when I am sick.  This is a  fantastic recipe and very easy! 

Let me just start off by saying I make a HUGE pot of soup so we can have left overs and so we can freeze some for later.  So you may need to tweek the recipe a little to better suit the amount you want to cook.  Also, it takes about 2 hours to make from start to finish.


You will need
15 Potatoes (I use the smaller russett potatoes that come in a 5-10lb bag)
3 Chicken Bullion Cubes
4 Tablespoons of Parsley Flakes
1/2 Cup of Chopped Green Onions
3 Tablespoons of Flour
2 Cups of Milk
Velvetta Cheese (I use a little over 1/2 of a large block)
Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
Bacon

1st - Peel, cut, and cook your potatoes.  While the potatoes are cooking, cook your bacon.  I prefer to bake my bacon for this recipie so it gets a little crispier. Set bacon aside and let cool on paper towels.  Once potatoes are almost done cooking add the chicken bullion cubes and parsley flakes.  Let cook about 5-10 minutes and then add 1/4 cup of your chopped green onions.  Let cook about 10 more minutes. 

2nd - Add flour and milk and reduce heat to medium-low.  Let cook for another 10 minutes.  Start adding chunks of your velvetta. You can add as much or as little as you like.  I would definatly use at least 1/2 a block for this quantity.  I use a little more though :o) To avoid the cheese sticking to the bottom and burning, you need to continuoulsy stir until ALL of the cheese is melted. It will ruin the soup if it starts sticking and burning...trust me, I know from experience! ha!

3rd - Once the cheese is completely melted the soup is done! Let simmer or turn your burner off until ready to serve.  Once you pour your bowl, add some (or alot!) of your shredded cheddar cheese, a few of your chopped green onions, and crumble some bacon on top!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment