Thursday, August 26, 2010

Decorative Jute Balls

Ok so the inspiration for my first project came from V and Co  http://www.vanessachristenson.com/2009/08/tutorial-pottery-barn-looking.html

Decorative Balls are so popular right now and oh so expensive.  So when I saw this post I knew I had to make some. 

You will need:
1) Styrofoam Balls - any size of your choice (mine were a package of 2 at walmart for $3.47)
2) Jute or Twine (94 yards of Jute at Big Lots for $2.30)
3) Hot Glue (already had on hand)







Start coiling one end of the jute (sorry I didn't get a great photo of this) and hot glue to the ball.  Once that part is dry, continue to hot glue the ball and wrap the twine.  This part can get very tedious because you can't really do more than 1-2 wraps at a time because the glue dries so quickly and because it can get very messy.  Continue all the way around the ball.  FYI - the hardest part is going around the center of the ball so you need to be extra careful here.  Once you are to the other end of the ball coil that end, as you did the first end and glue it down.  Be sure it is good and dry before letting go and you may even want to apply some pressure. 








Ta-Da!  You have a very cute decorative ball.  These look great in vases, bowls, birdcages, etc.  And you don't have to break the bank to get that pottery barn inspired look!


I am currently working on some smaller ones, painted ones, and even experimenting with different things to glue on them.  I will be sure to post when I am done!




No comments:

Post a Comment